We know moving with children into a new community is a huge change. It involves adapting to a new school, creating new traditions, joining a new sports team or arts class and making new friends. As a parent you naturally want to make this transition as easy as possible for your children. Here are some of Brunswick Crossing’s favorite tips for making your kids comfortable after a move:
- Start a routine as quickly as possible in your new home. Moving to a new area can be stressful and a bit frustrating for children because they were used to a different routine and location. If you establish some normalcy by doing chores, having a family dinner and scheduling extracurricular activities at the same time every night, it will be a smoother transition. They will regain a sense of familiarity, making adjusting to a new setting that much easier.
- With a new home comes a new room for everyone. Allow your children to express themselves by decorating their rooms. Every detail of their room will make them feel more comfortable in this new setting because it’s their space, and it’s original. Create excitement around the project by allowing kids to curate photos from magazines or online into an idea board. If you are moving before the school year begins, this is also a good confidence booster because they’ll feel like they already accomplished something big.
- Consider welcoming a new pet. This may seem like a lot of responsibility at such a transitional period, but it may help your children cope with the move. People use animals as an antidote for stress. In fact, studies say interacting with pets can reduce anxiety by 37 percent. At Brunswick Crossing amenities such as the walking trails and a community dog park provide a perfect place for your new four-legged family member to get their daily exercise.
- Get involved in your new community. Find recreational sports programs, art or music classes and church groups. Ask your child what they are interested in, so you can begin cultivating their interests. When a child is doing something they love, their confidence skyrockets. It is also a good opportunity for them (and you) to make new friends. If you are exploring during summertime at Brunswick Crossing, take some time to visit your child’s new school in Frederick County before they begin in late August. Brunswick Crossing also has on-site activities and amenities such as a swim-team, annual children's holiday party, and playgroups.
- Have a housewarming party. Invite your neighbors, teachers and coaches to introduce your family to the community. It will make your children more comfortable when they go off to school, practice or play dates because they will already be familiar with the people that will be there.
Your children have been through a lot with the move, so make it easier by using these suggestions with a slow and gentle approach. Splurge on room decorations, and discuss getting a family pet. Visit the neighborhood, sign your children up for various activities that they will love from day one and plan a party to show off your new construction home.
We hope these tips will help make your move smoother and easier for you and your family. If you'd like to stay up to date with everything happening at Brunswick Crossing, consider subscribing to the our blog.