Imagine the perfect summer. What do you see? Are you soaking up rays beside the pool? Searching for the greatest find at the local shops? Laughing over a campfire with friends?
It’s easy to make the most of the season at Brunswick Crossing. Whether you're a melody maniac or a cardio connoisseur, there are plenty of opportunities to step out of the house and into the sunshine. Swim, hike, shop, listen, or party until you drop with these summer activities:
Swim into Summer
Nothing kicks off summer like the local pool opening. At Brunswick Crossing, our pool typically opens on Memorial Day weekend. It features a 25-meter pool, kiddie area, splash zone, and pool house. Whether you visit to entertain the kids, go for a dip, or read a book, our pool is the perfect place to soak in the sun.
If you’re ready to make a splash this summer, here are some tips for a successful trip to the pool with the family:
- Generously apply sunscreen. The pool can act like a magnifying glass, increasing your risk of sunburn.
- Bring a water bottle. Just because you’re surrounded by water doesn’t mean staying hydrated isn’t important.
- Protect your eyes. Pools are full of necessary chemicals, such as chlorine, that keep the water clean but also irritate your eyes.
- Be mindful. Share the community pool with the other families trying to take advantage of this summer activity.
- Follow the rules. Read the pool’s guidelines carefully, listen to the lifeguards, and ensure your family adheres to the rules.
Take a Hike
The sun is out, and lush green trees cover the Appalachian Mountains. Several hiking opportunities surround Brunswick Crossing. Catoctin Mountain Park features breathtaking views, Cunningham Falls State Park leads to an exciting waterfall, and the C&O Canal National Historical Park includes picturesque views of the Potomac River. Not to mention 26 miles of trails within the community.
Here are some hiking tips for your next adventure:
- Do your research. Look up the trails before you take them on to check for difficulty, length, elevation, and potential closures.
- Dress appropriately. Wear lightweight clothing and prepare to adjust your layers as the weather changes.
- Start early. An early start gives you more time to complete the hike at a comfortable pace.
- Leave no trace. Minimize your impact on the environment by disposing of trash properly and leaving natural features alone.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water prior to the hike, and bring more than you think you’ll need.
Summer is the perfect time to hop through shops and buy items on your wish list. Within minutes of Brunswick Crossing are several fun outings for the shopaholics. Downtown Frederick, MD, features hundreds of specialty shops and art galleries ranging from outdoor equipment to bookstores to pottery shops. Lucketts, VA, may only take up a small stretch of Route 15, but it is packed with antique stores and farmer's markets.
Here are tips for your next shopping trip:
- Make a list… or don’t. If you’re looking for specific items, then keeping a list helps stay you focused. But if the goal is to browse and discover, maintain an open mind!
- Set a budget. Making a budget before a shopping trip helps you avoid overspending.
- Wear the right clothes. Since you’ll likely do a lot of walking, wear comfortable shoes and breathable clothing.
- Stay organized. Keep track of purchases and receipts in a notebook.
- Take breaks. Shopping is fun and exciting but also tiring and demanding. Stop for a meal, a sip of water, or even an ice cream cone!
Listen to Live Music
Nothing beats sitting on a patio tapping along to the sweet tune of a local musician while a gentle summer breeze drifts under a setting sun. If you’re a live music lover, there are a plethora of concerts, stages, and festivals throughout the summer in Frederick and at the local wineries/breweries.
Hum along with the local talent with these tips:
- Research the artist. Get familiar with their songs and style ahead of time.
- Respect the performers. Avoid distracting behaviors such as loud conversation, phone calls, or blocking others’ views.
- Be engaged. Let yourself get swept up in the music, and don’t be afraid to clap loud in appreciation between songs.
- Capture the moment mindfully. If photography and video are allowed, feel free to share your experience but don’t forget to immerse yourself in the moment.
- Support the artist. If you like their music, support the artist by purchasing their albums, buying merchandise, and talking them up to friends.
Throw a Party
The warm days and cool nights make for the perfect setting for a backyard barbeque, picnic, or campfire. Homes at Brunswick Crossing are built for entertaining. Large open floor plans that flow onto a spacious patio and lush backyard are perfect for inviting friends.
Here are some tips for throwing the best summer party:
- Choose a theme. Consider fun and engaging themes such as a tropical luau, garden tea party, or barbeque cookout.
- Plan the menu. Whether you’re cooking everything yourself, assigning items to guests, or catering, don’t forget to consider vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free needs.
- Focus on the drinks. Combat the heat with refreshing non-alcoholic or alcoholic beverages chilled in plenty of ice.
- Provide shade. Another way to beat the heat is by setting up canopies or seating areas beneath trees.
- Enjoy the party. Take breaks from being the host and mingle with your guests!
Dive into summer at Brunswick Crossing. With so many fun outdoor activities at your doorstep or just a short drive away, you’ll easily fill your days with memories that will last.