The warm, sunny summer days are best celebrated with friends and family. Outdoor parties are a wonderful way to take advantage of everything the season has to offer, with the promise of delicious food, joyful conversations, and fun activities.
However, hosting an outdoor summer party is no easy task. There are many facets and details to prepare, such as the location, menu, entertainment, and unexpected. To help you plan the perfect outdoor summer party, we’ve compiled a list of helpful tips and ideas:
Location, Location, Location
Location is one of the first details to sort out when planning a party. Consider these factors when choosing a location:
- Capacity: How many guests are you expecting? Consider renting or reserving a nearby space if your backyard isn't large enough.
- Accessibility: Where are guests coming from? Consider locations near major roads or public transportation.
- Theme: What is the occasion for the party? Whether you’re hosting a barbeque, bonfire, luau, and pool party, the available amenities largely dictate the location.
- Budget: How much are you willing to spend on your location? The cost of the space should balance out with the desired experience.
Brunswick Crossing has homes built for entertaining where indoor and outdoor spaces seamlessly flow together. Open floor plans, large patios, and expansive backyards encourage guests to mingle among food, social, and entertainment spaces.
However, if you’re expecting more guests than your home can handle, Brunswick Crossing’s Community Center is an excellent alternative. Located at the entrance to the community, guests will have easy access to parking and other various amenities. The space features a prep kitchen, lounge, game room, and TVs to help accommodate your planned activities.
Summer parties are the perfect time for everyone’s favorite seasonal foods. If you’re struggling to decide what menu to prepare, here are some factors to think about:
- Theme: Themed parties make it easy to plan a menu, including BBQ chicken, s’mores, or Hawaiian-inspired food.
- Time of day: Are you serving brunch, dinner, or dessert?
- Quantity: Depending on the size of your party, choose menu items that are easy to make or buy in bulk.
- Dietary preferences: Take the dietary preferences of your guests into account, including those who are vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free. And don’t forget people with allergies!
If you’re having your party at home, ensure your kitchen can handle the quantity of food. Homes at Brunswick Crossing include a gourmet kitchen with an island, marble countertops, and a spacious pantry, depending on the model. You can be assured that there will be plenty of room for cooking and displaying food.
Maybe cooking isn’t your style, or you’re not a fan of all the dishes it produces. Catering is an excellent alternative! This is another area where location makes an impact. What restaurants are close enough to cater or offer large trays? Brunswick Crossing has several favorite restaurants outside the community, including Papa Johns, Burger King, and Mcdonald's. There is also a Weis within the Marketplace that is perfect for picking up last-minute platters.
When socializing isn’t enough, games and activities help keep a lively atmosphere. Here are some ideas for entertainment you can plan for your summer party:
- Yard games: There are several classic games you can set up in your backyard or any grassy area that guests can jump in on, including cornhole, bocce ball, horseshoes, and badminton.
- DIY station: Set up a table where guests can make drinks, assemble an ice cream sundae, or decorate their cups.
- Live music: Consider hiring a DJ or musician to create an uplifting vibe. Karaoke is also a fun option to get the guests involved.
- Movie screening: If you’re planning an evening party, set up a projector and a large screen. Encourage guests to bring blankets and pillows.
If you’re throwing a pool party, Brunswick Crossing’s community pool is the perfect go-to place. It features a 25-meter pool, kiddie area, splash zone, and pool house.
Prepare for the Unexpected
No matter how much you plan, there’s always the possibility of something unexpected happening. While it may be impossible to plan for everything, you can take steps to prepare for potential issues proactively. Here are some unforeseen issues that you can prepare for:
- Weather: Always have a backup plan for your party in case the weather takes a last-minute turn, whether that means moving indoors or providing enough tents.
- Amenities station: Set up a table with several necessities your guests might have forgotten, including sunscreen, bug repellent, and first aid kits.
- Noise complaints: Stay considerate of your neighbors if you're in a tight neighborhood. Check-in with them beforehand and ensure your noise levels don’t get too high.
- Parking: This is an area that is easy to overlook. Depending on how many guests you’ve invited, will you have enough space for everyone to park?
Enjoy everything the sunny season has to offer at Brunswick Crossing. Want to explore our community and resort-style amenities firsthand? Check out the various models, take a virtual tour, or schedule an in-person tour from DRB Homes and Richmond American Homes.